Thursday, September 20, 2007

HW 9: "A Weblog Saved My Life Last Night"

After reading, “A Web log Saved My Life Last Night” by Ayelet Waldman, I decided that I agreed with most of what Waldman was saying. She goes on throughout the interview talking about how personal blogs can be and why women write on them and say some of the things they say. On pg. 313 Walman is asked the question "what about you weblog? That became extremely personal you wrote about your sex life with you husband, your feelings for your children; by the end you had posted a thinly veiled suicide note" (Kline, 313). When reading that blog at first I’m sure people did not now how to react, because I know I wouldn’t. The first thing that would go through my head would be "wow, this woman needs help". Which is what her friend thought, because in the end, that post she wrote about taking her life ended up saving her life, "In a way I'm really proud of that post" (Kline, 313) says Waldman. I agree that sucicide is a serious issue, a point that needs emphasizing since so many people never really think about it, let alone think someone they know would possibly have those thoughts.The things Ayelet Walkman wrote about were at times 'brutally honest' but in a way that’s a good thing. She wrote what she felt, and knew that people were going to see it. Writing that blog saved her life and writing about her other issues made her realize that life isn't easy, but now she is able to help others and support them with the same type of issues.

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Sensitively written--nice.
(don't need comma in in-text citation).